The Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basins (MARB) Watershed Leadership Network hosted the 2019 Great Lakes to Gulf Watershed Leadership Summit – February 20-21, 2019 in Long Beach, Mississippi. Attendees continued the conversations started at the 2018 summit about increasing and supporting farmer and farm advisor watershed leadership, shared examples of how states have quantified activities aimed at reducing nutrient loss, heard from leaders in the gulf fishery industry, and expanded their collaborative efforts to reduce nutrient loss to the Mississippi River. Explore the agenda.
The Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basins (MARB) Watershed Leadership Network works to enhance learning among farmer and non-farmer leaders engaged in watershed management across Hypoxia Task Force member states in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River Basins (MARB).
The network is drawing from existing watershed training programs and successful farmer-led watershed efforts and bringing the best of those programs to high priority watersheds in Hypoxia Task Force member states.
In addition, the network is working to:
- Strengthen relationships among watershed leaders, agricultural leaders, and state and federal agencies addressing nonpoint source pollution to improve implementation of state nutrient reduction strategies
- Expand the knowledge base by coupling high-quality agricultural and watershed management research with practice-based knowledge of farmers and watershed leaders
- Improve coordination and delivery of educational programming across much of the MARB
To date, the network has conducted a needs assessment of watershed training programs and programs that cultivate farmer and farm advisor leadership in increasing nitrogen and phosphorus use efficiency in the 12 HTF states. Check out the full report.
The network has also hosted two Great Lakes to Gulf Watershed Leadership Summit s. The Summits included representatives from across the region who outlined practical approaches for increasing farmer and farm advisor engagement in watershed management and established strategies for increasing conservation practice adoption.
Join the network listerv to participate in network projects, provide feedback on training opportunities, and join the conservation! To participate, first join the group by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Farmer and Farmer Advisor Watershed Training Needs Assessment
- 2019 Summit Agenda
- 2018 Summit Agenda
- 2018 Summit Attendee List