- This event has passed.
Reducing Health Impacts of the Nitrogen Problem – Workshop Series
February 25, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 1:30 pm on Thursday, repeating until February 25, 2021
Nitrogen is a widely-used, essential input to crop production. In many regions of the United States, nitrogen from farms has leaked into drinking water and caused adverse health impacts. These health impacts include methemoglobinemia, a condition that inhibits the blood’s ability to carry oxygen around the body.
This workshop hosted by the Environmental Health Matters Initiative (EHMI) will explore what actions can be taken to address the nitrogen contamination problem in agriculture.
Workshop sessions will take place every Thursday from 2:30–5:30 PM (ET) from January 28 – February 25, 2021.
- Session I on Jan. 28: What is the nitrogen problem?
- Session II on Feb. 4: What farm-level actions could be taken to address the nitrogen problem?
- Session III on Feb. 11: What landscape-level actions and innovative technologies could be used to address the nitrogen problem?
- Session IV on Feb. 18: What policies and markets could be created to address the nitrogen problem?
- Session V on Feb. 25: Reflection and Synthesis.
More information, including the full agenda, will be posted soon.